-->

My Picky Eater is Driving Me Crazy!


Entice Kids to Eat their Vegetables or to Just Eat



http://www.eatinghabits.org/eating-diseases/toddler-not-eating.html

After reading this blog, I was thinking, “Easier said than done, Allison.”  I have been engaged in meal battles for a couple of months now.  She is a Toddler and I do not by any means have the answer!  Just yesterday, in my desperation, I made a peanut butter and banana sandwich and I was happy when she ate the entire thing.  My little one and I are going through so your prayers are appreciated.  I am always trying to get her to eat-anything.  I am frustrated because I spend time, money, and energy trying to prepare home cooked meals that she rejects, spits out, and cries out in protest against.   It is a truly rare moment when meal time is peaceful.  If you have any other helpful hints, I would appreciate you sharing them with us.
 



1.    Take advantage of Farmer’s Markets to get fresh, local fruits & vegetables
·       This is the time of year that you can really get your kids involved with selecting their food.  Go to the Farmer’s Markets and allow them to touch, smell, and taste vegetables.  This is a great time for them to ask vendors any questions they have about the food.
2.    Allow Kids to help you cook
 
·       Children as young as 3 yrs. old can help mom or dad in the kitchen.  Remember to have food steamed or chopped ahead of time for small children and have them simply add vegetables or fruits to dishes as needed.  Praise them when they do this so that they feel good about helping. Include reading the recipe aloud together.  You could even go as far as retyping the recipe to include small pictures of the fruits or vegetables so that the little ones know when to add their item to the dish.
·       For older children, have them help you prepare their meals.  They are more likely to sample new food if they had a part in preparing the meal.  I used to teach an extra class of Home Economics with my middle school students.  They would get so excited about cooking something as simple as English muffin pizza.  To them, it was the best pizza ever just because they made it.
3.    Sneak fresh fruit and vegetables into their meals
·       One of the best books I have read for this topic is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.  In the book she teaches parents how to create fruit and vegetable purees.  Then, parents are to include the purees into the unsuspecting child’s meal.  For example, while cooking mom can slip in some carrot puree into the spaghetti sauce.  A little stirring and poof!  There is a yummy meal that has an extra dose of nutrition.  This way a parent can guarantee that their child is eating vegetables.  This works for all types of purees.  For example, a cauliflower puree can be placed into mashed potatoes.  At first, I thought this was an unnecessary step until I experienced caring for a three year old who refused to eat anything green on her plate! 
 
·       Now, the author does state that some vegetables should always be added to a child’s plate because it is unrealistic for them to grow up thinking that they do not have to eat any fruits or vegetables.  It also introduces them to good eating habits. However, when a child’s willful spirit kicks it and he claims, “I hate peas!” you can say, “Yes, dear,” and smile because he already is eating them and doesn’t know it.
·        Many parents draw the invisible battle line when it comes to this topic.  Children end up being punished or forced to sit at a table until they finish their vegetables, play time is taken away, and children cry. Meanwhile, the food is dropping out of their mouths as they scream in protest.  I have even experienced a child clamping her mouth shut without ever opening it for the entre meal! No amount of coaxing or threats I said convinced her to open her mouth. Just imagine peace being restored at the dinner table!
4.    Plant a Garden
 
·       This is definitely not for me.  I have never done this in my life, but plenty of people including my friends have.  Ask your friends or relatives to help you.  Check out some books or research what to plant, the best time to plant certain vegetables and how to go about it.  Make sure to include your children every step of the way.  I am sure they will appreciate all the work it took to grow the food that is on their plate.  My friend’s son loves that his mother grows peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers
 
5.    Set a Good Example
·       When Jennifer Hudson first started doing interviews to discuss her weight loss, one of the reasons she said that she lost the weight was because she wanted to be an example to her son.  I thought that was a bit premature because he was just a small baby. Now, I understand.  My baby is starting to eat solid foods now and wants to try everything on my plate.  This made me more aware of what I am eating.  I want her to be able to sample food without me shooing her off because I am eating something unhealthy.  I also am motivated to live a healthier lifestyle because I do not want her growing up not knowing how to eat healthy.  We are our children’s first teachers.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment