-->

Shop Your Trunk

May 2, 2012





Problem:
Have you ever been embarrassed because you ran out of baby supplies while running errands?  Or have you ever been rushing in the morning and forgot to pack some supplies for the daycare?  Have you ever meant just to visit your mom or a relative and end up spending the night only to discover you do not have enough of something for the baby? Now, you might be thinking, “This is why we have diaper bags.”  Yes, you are right, but diaper bags just carry a smattering of what you need.  No one that I know of carries a whole other 75 wipes package in their diaper bag or an extra 25-50 diapers they can just hand over to daycare.  When it comes to food, I have seen mothers with the three division container that stores additional 3 bottle servings.  However, what happens when a mom is caught out and maybe has only 1 serving left or none at all?  These situations usually take place in some mother’s lifetime.  I remember a mother looked sheepishly at me while borrowing a diaper in the bathroom of a department store.  She had booked a photo session for her son. She had just changed him and brought him to the store decked out in a button down top, canary yellow sweater vest, pants, and gleaming shoes.  He was all set until there was a wait for the photographer.  In the delay, he had soiled his diaper.  My heart went out to her.  All I could do was imagine being placed in the same situation and I quickly offered anything I had in my diaper bag.  Then, it came to me one day while I was at my mother’s house and I did not want to leave, I should have extra supplies in my car trunk.

Solution:
            If you car looks anything like mine, the trunk may already be stuffed with a baby stroller, an emergency kit, and various junk; I mean essential stuff.  You might just think I am being nuts, but really, I am serious.   We make room in our car for items we may need in case of emergency for ourselves such as: a flash light, blanket, phone charger, GPS system (if our does not have one built into its system already), snacks, etc.  So what would happen if the baby or your children were with you during an emergency?  That is an extreme case, but even on a daily basis you may find yourself in situations you had not anticipated.  For example, you may have just used your last wipe in that miniscule wipe holder in your diaper bag.  Also, the baby already ate her usual jar of food you had packed, but wants more or you miscalculate how many diapers a trip will take.  Well, if moms shop their trunks, none of these situations would matter. 
            Shopping your trunk means that moms will have extra baby supplies handy and ready to use in their car trunks in case of emergencies.  It does not take long to prepare and many days I have shopped in my trunk for what I needed.  For instance, purchase a cool colored medium sized crate.  I usually make it a color that will stand out. Then, when you are out shopping, pick up extra baby supplies and place them in the crate so that you are prepared.  I will typically stash 1-2 full packages of wipes, a can of formula along with a gallon of water, some extra jars of baby food, 1 small package of 40 diapers, a small blanket, extra clothes, and bibs. You will find yourself adding or taking away items because of the weather conditions or you might cater it to your child specific needs. Because I often forget about a crib sheet and blanket which are required every Monday at the daycare, I keep those in a separate grocery bag and at the ready so when I do forget, I just go and get it out of my car. Shopping your trunk is not only practical; it can prevent a potentially embarrassing situation from happening.
            So, there you have it. I have never shared my secret with anyone.  I know as a new mother, I have had so many moments when I had wished that I was better prepared.  Not only do I get frustrated when something happens that I do not anticipate, but then I beat myself up.  Ultimately, I can’t enjoy myself or the baby because I am so focused on what I should have done instead.  Shopping my trunk is another system that I have put in place to help me.  Now, if all of you out there are shopping your trunks and are laughing at me for being so naïve, all I can say is, “Why didn’t somebody tell me?” 




Ref: Photobucket.com



No comments:

Post a Comment